- This event has passed.
June 2021 e-Essential Skills Series
June 4, 2021 @ 9:00 am - August 6, 2021 @ 7:00 pm
The Canadian Evaluation Society’s on-line ten-week course offers participants with a basic understanding of the main models and practices of evaluation. No prior knowledge of evaluation or social science research methods is required to participate. Participants will gain:
- Basic knowledge and skills,
- Appreciation for essential elements of evaluation,
- Capacity to apply acquired knowledge and skills, and
- Development as an evaluation professional.
The Essential Skills Series is ten self-paced learning modules that cover everything from basics like the objectives of evaluations, all the way through to practical skills such as budgeting and workplan development. The discussion forum encourages knowledge transfer/sharing among participants and instructor, instructor reviewed assignments to guide learners and real-time Zoom learning at the start and conclusion of the course.
- Describe the role of evaluation in the program lifecycle;
- Explain common evaluation terms, functions, and approaches;
- List the steps in planning and conducting an evaluation;
- Describe how common social science data collection methods are used in evaluations;
- Describe the value and use of project management concepts in evaluations;
- Outline ways to support the use of evaluation findings and produce actionable evaluation reports; and
- Recognize evaluation standards and ethical principles and identify their role in the professionalization of evaluation in Canada.
Learners will be expected to:
- Complete one module per week independent of the facilitator;
- Participate regularly in discussion forums with participants and the instructor;
- Complete seven assignments to submit to facilitator for review/feedback
About the Facilitator
Dr. Keiko Kuji-Shikatani, C.E., is an internal evaluator with the Ministry of Education, infusing evaluative thinking in collaborative teams to build sector capacity for the use of evidence to inform decisions. She shares her DE expertise widely leading interministerial collaborations, evaluation capacity building for governments both in Canada and internationally, through universities, civil societies and EvalPartners.
Registration deadline: June 2, 2021